Saturday, July 2, 2022

Money Diary #126

Morning: Up around 6:30, head to the bathroom, and forward an email to my boss. Fall back into bed until 8. Turn on Keeping up with the Kardashians, check email, and start working on the project from yesterday. Call my dad to see how many butters I'm getting at Albertsons since they are on sale, and he tells me to get one. Prep for my morning meeting with my boss and warm up some leftover chicken tenders. Connect with my boss who gives me good advice on next career steps, and I will follow up with her after she gets back from vacation the week after next. Read emails after my call with her, finish a project, and call it a day. 

Afternoon: Watch I Love Lucy & I Dream of Jeannie. Read for a while, and here is what I learn:

  • Work and life: "I expect different things from my significant other and my career. Emotional and financial support do not have to, and in many ways should not, come from the same source."
  • What a happy, fruitful life looks like: "I think a happy, fruitful life is a balanced life where people prioritize self-reliance and self-actualization, but also take time and make efforts to create meaningful relationships in their lives. Jobs come and go; relationships ebb and flow; at the end of our lives we all have to live with the choices that we made, that no one else has responsibility for. I have never believed in pouring 100% of myself, and what I have to give, into any one thing. My marriage, my relationship with my son, my friendships, my relationships with my parents and other relatives, my volunteer work, my faith, and my career are all important to me. I feel my life is a happy life because I have all those things, and I have all those things because I never emphasized one to the exclusion of all the rest."
  • Truth: "Yeah, your career will replace you when you die, but so will your loved ones eventually. Life goes on for everyone else. The important thing is you do what fulfills you when you are alive!"
  • Another truth: "Do not give yourself to careers or relationships that drain your buckets or don’t pay you back emotionally. Instead, pour yourself into work and people (including yourself) than fill up your buckets."
  • On investing: "Invest in your career enough that you can financially support yourself. Invest in all your relationships enough that you have a full life."
  • Bad vs good managers: "All of the bad leaders I’ve encountered were focused on the people above them rather than those they were supposed to be leading. As a leader, your job is to advocate for your team and to make sure they have the resources they need to do their jobs, then get out of their way. Let your staff present their own work to senior management. Don’t ever take credit for your staff’s work."
He wants to head to the gym, so I get dressed & he drops me off at the nearby mall. I do some steps since I haven't walked the past month or so, and I find a penny. I call my dad when I am in the Japanese store and he tells me he will call me later. I call my mom and she calls me back when I'm in the mall. She tells me to get noodles from the Japanese store if they are less than $2 each and 4 butters from Albertsons. I head back to the Japanese store where I grab two noodles ($3.50 - 1 penny found = $3.49). He comes back from the gym, and we head to the mall. He looks at clothes and shoes but doesn't get anything. Mom calls again and tells me to make sure to store the butter in the fridge (and not the freezer, lol -- I'm glad she told me that because I would've put it in the freezer). Walk to Bath & Body Works where I liberally spray myself with the Teakwood cologne, lol. Head to Costco next where he gets gas & then we load up on samples (Kodiak flapjacks -- twice, spinach dip & Ritz crackers -- twice, ice cream -- once, and potato salad with hot dogs -- twice, lol). I am stuffed and we grab mouthwash that is on sale, sweats for him that are on sale, and large aluminum containers for barbeque ($33.56). He grabs a pepperoni pizza for our dinner and also gets a mocha freeze for me. We share the drink as we wait for pizza, and once that is done, we head to Albertsons. 

Evening: We get Starbucks since I have a $2 grande deal at the in-store Starbucks. Since this store doesn't have the salted caramel cold brew that he wants, we get a pineapple coconut drink on a pre-paid card. I note that this Starbucks is one penny in tax cheaper since it's in a neighboring town. He spots a BOGO deal on sauces from our favorite burger place so we get jalapeno ranch & creamy pepper and 4 butters ($8.75). Head back home where I pass out on the couch and watch more KUWTK. He wants to head to his friend's boba store, so I get dressed. We stop by Walmart first since he needs to get washer fluid for the car, and I find a nickel ($4.19 - the nickel that I find = $4.14). We head to his friend's boba shop next, and the guys hang out while I read on the couch. Afterwards, as we're heading home, he asks if I want to go to Ross. Since it's past 10, I'm not super comfortable heading there tonight, so we plan to go tomorrow. As we're getting home, we see the garage is open because his mom is here to drop off beef noodle soup. He warms up the noodle soup & a slice of pizza for me for dinner. Brush my teeth, do the activated charcoal mouthwash, and bed around 12:30.

Groceries/Costco/Walmart = $49.94

Total = $49.94

No comments:

Post a Comment