Sunday, March 20, 2022

Money Diary#22

Morning: Wake up when I hear the 8:15 alarm go off. He kisses me goodbye, heads to his sailing event, and I surf the internet for a bit while still in bed. Finally get up at 11, brush my teeth, and migrate to the sofa to watch Friends 

Afternoon: He comes home around noon and asks what we're doing for lunch. Decide to go to La Madeleine, grab our coupons, and get dressed. I feel kinda blah and realize it's my favorite (ha!) time of the month. I've never been to La Madeleine, so when we get there, I'm pretty excited. He gets tomato basil soup and chicken friand, and I get cream of mushroom soup and chicken friand. OMG, it's so good and really filling. We probably won't make this a regular occurrence because it's pricier than our regular rotation of takeout places, but with coupons, it's not too bad. Head to his friend's bubble tea place which is next door to drop off some pineapple cakes, and then our next stop is Harbor Freight. I walk around, am super bored, and I tell him how bored I am, hahaha. He know this is one of my least favorite stores to visit -- he finds the hacksaw he wanted, pays for it, and then we head to the Middle Eastern grocery store nearby. Grab two juices (peach & lemon mint) ($4.31). Then to Costco for gas and we walk around the store. Eat the samples (beef sirloin, egg roll, pigs in a blanket, coffee, tuna, and chocolate milk). He gets (an actual) blanket and some dog toys. Our last stop is the golf & tennis store. I walk around the store while he checks out their clubs. Finally get back home, pass out on the couch, and he pours a glass of Fresca for me. I read for a bit, and here is what I learn:

  • On how the same skillset can either be underpaid or demand higher rates: Is it perceived as a cost of getting something done or as an opportunity to get something done well? For instance, architects can be underpaid, but they can make big bucks in the adjacent marketplace of UX design.  
  • On growing confidence: Stop waiting, hoping, and hanging on every little bit of "maybe" and leave the ball in the other side's court. Don't follow up or even think about the specific opportunity anymore. When looking for opportunities, make sure you have as many irons in the fire as you can. 

Evening: His sister works abroad and is visiting next month, so I clean up one of the guest bedrooms. The bed is covered in my clothes/makeup/etc., so I organize into bags and store in a corner. Throw things into the laundry. Then shower, wash & shampoo hair, and watch him play GT7. Complete the survey to get a free hamburger the next time we go to my favorite burger place. We have a couple of coupons for Nitro Pepsi (the regular one and the vanilla one), so we head to Wal-Mart to see if we can find any. We don't, but he needs lunch meat for next week so we grab that ($3.74). Then to Kroger for a couple of True North energy drinks that are free but this location doesn't have any. He spots Starlight Coke ("it's space flavored!" he shouts), hahaha, so we get a regular sugar version as well as a zero sugar one ($4.52). Back home, dinner is leftover Chinese takeout & his Japanese chicken curry + rice, and drink the lemon with mint juice which is really tasty. He wants me to watch The Matrix since I've never seen it, so we watch that and bed around 1.

Groceries = $12.57

Total = $12.57

No comments:

Post a Comment