Saturday, March 12, 2022

Money Diary #15

Morning: Wake up around 7, look at my phone, and promptly pass out until 10:15. Finally get up, brush my teeth (realize I hadn't done so in the past 2 days, ewww), and migrate to the couch. He plays GT7, and I read. Head out around 11:30, and our first stop is the outlet store which is closing. 

Afternoon: We get clothes for both of us, 2 pairs of shoes for his aunt, and socks for both of us. I insist on paying this time ($108.14). Walk around the outlet mall and stop by Bath & Body Works to use 2 free coupons for one full-sized Teakwood body cream and a mini Gingham body cream. Next stop is Ikea where we finally (!) get the frozen yogurt cone ($1.08). Browse around the store and stop at the restaurant for 2 chicken tender plates, one coffee, and one fountain drink ($16.76). I am fully stuffed by the time we finish and keep drinking the diet cola (yum). Read a Money Diary while he finishes eating. As we're approaching the end of the store, there are free samples (!!) today. Each of us grabs a Swedish meatball with gravy, chocolate (dark for him and milk for me) and drinks (elderflower for him and pomegranate for me). We were planning on going to Costco afterwards but decide to go back home instead. Once we get home, he plays GT7, and I read for a while. Here's what I learn today:

  • On what the end goal is: The end goal is not to become a member of the C-Suite. It is to be anonymous and wealthy.
  • Money leading to stress vs contentment: Someone makes a high six figure salary yet finds themselves stressed out rather than content. 
  • On giving notice: If you have a manipulative manager, frame the notice as a "I'm burnt out, so I need to take a break and figure out next steps." Know the exact details you want to reveal and control the narrative. You don't owe anyone an explanation (if they ask where you're going, you don't have to say a thing), and their feelings aren't your responsibility.
  • On minimizing work stress: Instead of being the "quarterback" at work (i.e., someone that manages others or serves as the hub across various functions), try being a defensive lineman (i.e., work comes in, you get it done, and your mental health is better off for it).

Evening: Head out to the local high school track where he runs and I walk. Afterwards, he drops me off at the mall and goes to work out at the gym. I find 14 cents while walking around the mall. Walking is one of my favorite things to do, and finding spare change on the ground is a bit like a treasure hunt. Once we're back home, it's James Bond time, dinner of chicken fried rice & an eggroll, and bed around midnight. 

Clothes = $108.14
Eating out = $17.84
Spare change found = $0.14
Total = $125.84

No comments:

Post a Comment