Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Money Diary #137

Morning: Mom wakes me up at 6, and I head to to bathroom. Brush my teeth, drink a cup of tea, and eat a couple of Ritz crackers. An email came in earlier this morning, so I respond to it, loop in some colleagues, and set up a meeting for later this week. I have a D&I meeting this morning, so I jump on that 8 am call. I leave the call at 8:30 and eat Hawaiian bread rolls & scrambled eggs for breakfast. Head to my 9 am with a senior colleague where we chat about the department's changes & she gives me a few things to follow-up on regarding a project she is leading. Send those follow-up emails and prep for a meeting with my boss. It's my last 1:1 with her, so I walk through a few questions, talk about career steps, and say goodbye to her :-( She knows me really well, senses my sadness, and says we'll still have monthly 1:1's to catch up. Man, I'm going to miss her. Go shower after the call.

Afternoon: Lunch is rice, my favorite spinach dish, my favorite soup dish, and spicy fish stew. Do the coconut oil pull, and lay down on the sofa. Close my eyes for 15 minutes and hear the ping of emails come in. Head back to the computer and prep for my 2:30 meeting. Go over a proposed action plan with a few colleagues, and implement that plan during our 3 pm call. That meeting ends in 15 minutes, and I'm done for the day. I should read for work, so I do that for a few minutes but decide to try again tomorrow. Drink a cup of milk tea for a snack. Read for a while, and here is what I learn:

  • Good career advice: "Corporate governance is the best area for success because you’re in front of the Board and senior management. Focus on areas that are high profile for the company and allow you to present to the Board and CEO/CFO. Focus on impact to org outside of the department and not within the department, like number of reports which doesn’t matter."

  • Truth: "Stop telling people more than they need to know."
  • Real estate vs the stock market: "Real estate is close to an all time high. Equity markets are not. I know which of the two I’d throw the next dollar at."

Evening: Watch I Love Lucy on the tablet. Dinner is rice, my favorite spinach dish, my favorite soup dish, and spicy fish stew. Finish the last of the lemon mint drink with Dad. Do the coconut oil pull, brush my teeth, and bed around 10:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment