Monday, July 11, 2022

Money Diary #136

Morning: Mom wakes me up at 6:30 since I have meetings from 8:30 to 11 this morning, and I want to eat breakfast & shower before that. Get up, brush my teeth, and drink a cup of tea & eat a couple of Ritz crackers. Go shower & then log on. The trainings have come in, so I start working on them & eat breakfast of scrambled eggs & toast. Get an email from a coworker requesting to move the 9 am meeting to tomorrow morning, and then another email from a different coworker to move the 8:30 am meeting to tomorrow afternoon. Reschedule the meetings, finish the trainings (yay!), and jump on my 9 am call with one of our interns. Speak to her about what she is interested in and answer her questions about grad school & work. My 10 am meeting gets cancelled, and my boss moves our meeting to that time. I prep for that meeting and then jump on the call to speak with her. Go over some questions with her and then talk about career steps for me. While I am sad that I won't be reporting to her after this week, I'm excited for her new role in the company. Then jump on one last call this morning with a different colleague. Speak to him about an issue that came up last week, get his thoughts, and also talk about the changes in the company. He just got back from an Italian vacation & sends me pictures which I drool over, lol. Once I finish speaking with him, I go through my inbox and look at emails that have come in this morning. Eat an early lunch at 11:30 of leftover Thai fried rice and do the coconut oil pull.

Afternoon: Jump on my noon call that ends at 1:15, and I'm done with meetings for the day. Eat a snack of cherries & grapes. Keep an eye out on email and read for a while. Here is what I learn:

  • On splurges: "I have a few college friends who make more in their bonus than I make in a year :) I splurge on things like kerrygold butter and a Pret coffee membership."
  • Mental peace comes from owning fewer things: "In my 20’s, most of my clothes came from discount places, and I was willing to hunt sale racks. Now with more money and less time, my savings come from owning fewer things."
  • Truth: "The more you scale, the more you need to appeal to different kinds of people, which sucks the personality out of what you're doing."
  • Good advice for relationships (both personal & professional): "You can be happy or you can be right. Don’t count on being both."
  • Why stuff gets done: “The way things get done in the world is because of two things — relationships between people and focus.”

Air fry some focaccia bread and have that along with spicy hashbrowns for an afternoon snack. Drink milk tea. 

Evening: A friend & former coworker calls and we chat for an hour about her work & how she is thinking of what is next for her professionally. She is leaving for a 3-week vacation (yay for her!) and she's flying on Qatar Airways. I make a request for her to take pics of the food, as I'm a huge fan of international airplane food, haha. Dinner is the last of the leftover Thai fried rice, do the coconut oil pull, and brush my teeth. Bed around 10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment