Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Money Diary #130

Morning: The alarm at 6:15 wakes me up. Log on and send a couple of emails for work. Brush my teeth & settle into the couch for my 7 am meeting which goes for an hour. Then my boss's boss holds a meeting at 8 which goes for 45 minutes. Get dressed, grab the butters & ice pack from the fridge, and call Dad to let him know I'm headed out. Get to parents' place around 9:30, eat an omelette & drink some ginger ale for breakfast, and then Dad & I head to pay car registration for both cars. In the car, he shares that they are thinking of moving to a different state and asks for my opinion. Back home around 10:30 and set up a meeting for next week. Go shower & use the psoriasis shampoo. 

Afternoon: Lunch is cauliflower fried rice & sausage curry. Split a Melona honeydew ice cream bar with Mom. Do a coconut oil pull. Show Dad the positions available for work and talk to him about next steps. Keep an eye out on email and read & take notes for work. A project comes in, so I set up a meeting with a colleague tomorrow to go over. Send an email about the expat position to the hiring manager to see when it might be posted. Eat some cherries that Mom gives to Dad and myself. Drink tea with some coconut thins for an afternoon snack. A friend/former colleague calls, and I'll give her a call back tomorrow. Having not heard back about the expat position, I figure it's a no go. 

Evening: Read for a while, and here is what I learn:

  • Living life: "Still, it’s rough to go from actually living life—doing stuff, seeing new things, meeting new people—to living in my tiny apartment staring at myself and my coworkers on a screen with little human interaction. I found myself thinking on the trip, 'that’s no way to live. No wonder I’ve been depressed.'"
  • Small communities & village life: "We were made for small communities and village life, and so the constant trying to process the news of all of the world events and pain of everyone feels like too much because it is too much. In village life, it would take weeks, months, years for bad news from distant places to travel to us – and now it's instantaneous. It’s okay to step back and let yourself process it slower, and have a stronger focus on your immediate community."
  • Being child-free: "Honestly, having been a parent but also having been in two child-free marriages after that, I would seriously consider getting back together on the terms above with an understanding up front that kids would NOT be in the picture. If I thought the relationship was worth it."
  • More content life: "I’m trying not to have a checklist and instead am working toward just a happier, more content life, filled with people and things and activities I love and who love me back. This translates into devoting time to hobbies and volunteer activities that fill my cup and a goal to focus less on work."

  • Applies to both career & guys: 
    • "Try your best not to get invested in guys until they’ve clearly communicated to you that they’re very interested. It sucks (and sounds regressive) but it makes it a lot easier to let them chase. If you’re not proactively texting them, you can discern their feelings more easily and (most importantly) sit back and relax and let them do the work."
    • "The absolute worst trap you can fall into is over-analyzing his behavior or trying to make sense of things, or try to game your behavior to get him to magically be into you. It’s more simple than that: he’s either into you or not, and if he is, it will be easy and you will know."
    • "You can’t will him into anything. My biggest advice as someone who has been dating forever and who has had to learn A LOT, is to take everything at face value. Do not try to figure out what he is thinking or feeling. You don’t know. He said what he said and he did what he did in the moment and that’s that."
Evening: Eat a Lindor chocolate and watch I Love Lucy on the tablet. Dinner is cauliflower rice, sausage curry, and an omelette with slices of sweet mango. Do the coconut oil pull, brush my teeth, and more I Love Lucy. Bed around 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment